Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Twas the week before Christmas‏

I can't believe it's almost Christmas and a new year! I sure do love this time of year, as I know most of us do. I just wanted to share a quick experience we had this past week, actually two, okay maybe three. :) My companion and I were walking around the busy streets of Sao Paulo as our appointments had all fallen through. We had already made our 10 contacts for the day but that isnt to say we are limited to only ten people. We walked past a man who was sweeping the sidewalk in front of his portao, door, fence? I don't know how to describe it in English....anyway we walked past him and continued walking and walking and walking. We had already turned the corner and were headed up another street when I told Sister Steinbeigle that I couldn't stop thinking about the man out front sweeping the sidewalk. She said she didn't even remember seeing a man. So we went back. I stopped in front of him and he stopped sweeping and looked at me with the expression like Go ahead and talk, I already know who you are and what you're going to say. I told him I didn't even know what to say just that I felt like I should talk with him!

Turns out he is very intelligent having attended college in Ireland and has already received visits from the missionaries on various occasions. He had no interest in speaking about religion with us but accepted a Christmas song which we gladly sang to him with gusto and testimony! He just reminded me of Mr. Kruger from Mr. Krugers Christmas I guess. All alone during the Christmas Holiday. He doesn't have any family, that I am aware of, and he just seemed lonely. Nothing came of our short 15 minute visit with this little old grumpy man, heck, he doesn't even like the church! But I just cant stop thinking about him! I hope we were able to brighten up his holiday if even just a little bit. I dont know why I shared that story but there you go.

After Luis, the little grump old mans name is Luis, we really didn't know what to do. Sister Steinbiegle suggested we knock doors and carol. I have to admit I was a little hesitant.....but I didn't have any better ideas so I agreed. We went for the street of the church! Who would think to do the street of the church? One would think that everyone who lives on that street already knows the Mormons and has already been invited. you wouldn't believe the success we had! Obviously everyone knew who we were but NO ONE had ever been personally invited. I was stunned. It was actually quite satisfying and I really enjoyed it. Only one woman turned us away of like the 20 houses we visited! What a miracle! My favorite was a little old woman (I don't know whats with me and older people this holiday season) who answered the door. She told us her husband was sick. She had always wanted to visit that beautiful building on the end of her road but she has to stay home and take care of him. She also knew of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and said she loved to listen to them on the radio, however they stopped playing them for whatever reason. Again nothing drastic came from our short visit with her, she just touched my heart! I love knocking doors and making contacts! And this is recent! If you would have asked me that last week I would have said no way. Think of all the wonderful people that we walk past daily that dont know about the gospel! All we need to do is open our mouths and be an example!

I talked a lot. I love Christmas. Even though I sprained my ankle for the second time this month and I am stuck in the house for 2 weeks with a cast and crutches. I sort of feel like a worthless missionary but I am trying to stay positive and do my best. I know the Lord is aware of each one of his children! He loves us individually. for this reason He sent His only son to the earth to die for us. I imagine that would have been pretty difficult. For even Heavenly Father. We are so blessed! I am happy and hope all of you are too. Feliz Natal e Bom Ano Novo pra voces!

-Sister Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment